Not My Usual Christmas Break

For the past five years or so I have not gone for a trip during the holiday break. But this time I got to go out for two adventures. 

#1 Last Wednesday, I went to Pagsanjan with friends from the seminary -  Dr. Fletcher Tink (my professor), Ryan (his son), Ate Ree, Ate Tutit and her husband, Kuya Nico, and the Alamario couple, Ptr. Andrew and Ate Ruth.

We left at around 7am and it was raining. I was kind of worried that the rain would go even harder and it would be impossible to see the falls. Typhoon Quinta had no sense of timing, trying to ruin our planned trip (and the lives of the people down in Visayas and Mindanao). Anyway, we still went on. We stopped by Ate Ruth's Uncle's house to grab some glasses because there was not enough for us. It was a zig-zaggy ride. There were more than enough curves on the road to make people dizzy. Good thing, my dizzy days are over.     When we arrived at Pagsanjan, a man who was wearing a camouflage jacket, shirt and denim shorts knocked on our window and asked where we're going. Well, we told him we're going to see the falls. He asked us to follow him.We had no choice because the bridge was closed, so we did follow him. It was a scary moment; everybody locked the door. We didn't know where we're heading. Fortunately, he was one of those people who waits for tourists and lead them to where they could get the boat ride. Whew! Relief surged in! :)

So we waited for the rain to stop. While waiting we had Kuya Nico's awesome carbonara. (Take note: I do not eat carbonara but Kuya Nico's was sooo good he made me eat it. ^^) After that, off to the boats. Ate Tuti and I were on the same boat. Ate Ree, Ryan and Dr. Tink went together. The Almario couple looked like they're having their first date. <3

At first, it was a bit scary because the boat loses balance whenever anyone moves. But it's easy to get used to it. We were pulled by a motor boat until we reached the rapids. The bangkeros (boatmen) looked like action stars pulling and pushing the boat  through the rushing water, stepping and kicking from rock to rock. Amazing! :))

On the way to one of the falls.
Photo by Dr. Fletcher Tink
The scenery was beautiful. The gorges were breathtaking. I felt like I was in a movie or something. As the boat was moving, I was just looking up, taking in every moment. Peace rushed into me as I kept on looking around. 

I felt extremely blessed 
to see God's wonderful creation. 

I wish I could have spent more time in there. I was hoping I could swim in the water. I love being in the water. But we didn't get to swim. :((  But still, I had an AWESOME time. 

Being with nature, with great people,
spending the day not thinking of any school-related stuff
was more than enough to make this trip 
a great and memorable one. 


#2 A trip to Tagaytay with friends from church yesterday - Ate Sarah, Eryn, Allelie, Praise Ann, Ate Tin and Ian. 

This was a trip that I initiated. We had the schedule set four days before. And we had no idea how to go there. Or how we could go around the city. So I asked my friends from college and checked out the Internet for information.

So yesterday, we left for Cubao at 7am and arrived at 8 am. We went around asking people where we could take a bus that will bring us to Tagaytay. We asked maybe five or more people. After walking for 10-15 minutes we reached the terminal. To Tagaytay it was! :))

We didn't know how long the ride would be so I slept for some good time because I had little sleep the night before. We passed by Cavite towns then, the conductor said "Tagaytay". We didn't know if it was where we should take off. We hesitated for a split second but decided to go out of the bus. Good thing, we were at the right spot. First thing that hit us was the cold breeze. Ahhhh.... I loved it! 

Taal Volcano on the Lake viewed from Tagaytay Picnic Grove
So, there we were in the middle of the city, no idea what to do first. Finally,we decided to eat at KFC (Wow! We went to Tagaytay just to eat chicken from KFC. Haha!) After eating, Allelie and I went out to ask local people. The three people we asked recommended us to go to the People's Park and Picnic Grove.We took a jeepney to the People's Park in the Sky. It probably took us 15 minutes to go there. It was up in the mountain. We were surrounded by fog and it was soooo cool.... and cold!!! Yet, I decided to test my ability to tolerate the cold so I did not wear any jacket whatsoever. We stayed for maybe around 20-30 minutes. Then, we took a tricycle to the Picnic Grove. 
There we saw a good view of the Taal Volcano. I saw a mini horse which reminded me of Ryan and how everything in the Philippines seems to be mini for him. We walked around, thought of going for the zip line but the wind scared me. I saw the people swinging while they were moving forward so I chickened out. No more zip line. Instead we rode a horse... fortunately not a mini. :)) (But still not too big.)

After Picnic Grove, we went to Starbucks to warm ourselves up. I had a cup of my favorite Chamomile Tea. The others had either coffee or hot chocolate. We stayed there until 6:30pm then off we go for a bus. Before we left Tagaytay, I was not able to take the cold and finally I put on my poncho.We took off the bus at Megamall and from there took an FX to Binangonan. After an hour, finally, HOME! :))

The best thing about this trip was having the opportunity to explore a place, know people, experience things in a different light. Although I was still in my own country, it was great to be in an "unfamiliar" place. Since we knew very little about Tagaytay, we had to ask a lot of the locals. I got to know people's stories. :) 

I am thankful for all the people I had asked questions and had conversations with:
the two parking officers, the guard at the bank, the vendor at Colette's, 
the other guard from Mang Inasal,
the vendors, the drivers, the security personnels, and Mang Ricky. :))

God does not only reveal Himself through nature but since we are created in His own image...

We can see God in every single human being in this world.

More than the enjoyment I've had from these trips, I am thankful for them because I got to experience God and being with Him in a different way. Truly this season is about Him and Him alone. 

So how was your CHRISTmas???


-april

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GOAL

ANSWERED PRAYER

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS